Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Module 10

Wiki's!

I was not familiar with wiki's at all but after reading that Wikipedia is one of the most famous wiki's in the world. Well, yea, I do utilize that wiki. I did not know that wiki's were available to the common folk....like me. They are a really nice tool in our world. Although I worry about the freedom of opinions in wiki's.

I loved the examples of how librarians and library's are creating and using wiki's to enhance their library programs and to SHARE! The library's BEST PRACTICE wiki was most interesting. I can see having a Texas Library Best Practices Wiki! (I'm sure it's out there somewhere) I like many librarians are always looking for new ideas to try in the library. This is a great reference and to be able to talk about it...in storytype format...well that's great.

I thought it interesting that one site had editing only available to librarians...at least that was how I took it. Perhaps, if that was indeed what I saw...they wanted their wiki to have some authority control over content. Which I do agree with mostly. I see that today's age has much to do with user created content, but when ya need facts, ya want those facts to be authoritative and factural...no so much opinionated.

Composing Book Reviews in a wiki is awesome! Talking about the best books, worst books holds your interest and gets you hooked on wanting to read or not.

Inserting the link to the activity was a little confusing to me. I think I got it done right. I did understand the video instructions but for some reason got a little lost when I went to do it. I'm sure with more "wiking" I'll get the hang of it much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment