Monday, March 7, 2011

Module 7

All I have to say is "Yeeee-Haaaaaaw!" and "Yippeeeee!" Finally, in the library world of subject headings...someone....several people....lots and lots of people are thinking the way most people think so that access is BETTER BETTER BETTER!

The one thing I absolutely did not agree with, though I understand, was subject headings for cataloging materials in the library. My soap box subject was that thee terms being used by librarians since forever is not the way NORMAL AVERAGE people think or use in their normal everyday lives. I always felt like ya had to learn a secret code to be able to catalog and even find a book in the library. Absolutely frustrating!!!!!!!And TIME CONSUMING

How nice it is to see that there is a beginning to hopefully an ending to the "secret library code" madness!!!! I like the delicious idea. The websites being catagorized in normal subject terms and tagged for easy finding....Wow, what a wonderfully normal concept! I'm a little "iffy" on the credibility of the best websites. The most people who tagged it.... is the best site for the subject/tag? I get it, but well, what if the site just has cool visuals and people visit it a lot but that's not what your looking for....I mean yea, you just go to the next site... but still...I worry about issues like that.

I do think it is 100% improvement to the accessibility of library materials. You bet it is! How many times have you had small children want a book on kittens and they have no clue that they need the big word "feline." They don't know that, they just know they want the cute kitten book their friend was looking at.

Patrons doing research have half their work done for them using delicious. I mean some of the hardest part is finding information on the research subject. Imagine going to delicious and the sites are subject tagged for you. Wow...another time saving advantage!

I think it's wonderful that libraries are utilizing delicious and delicious type technologies. I think people are intimidated by libraries sometimes thinking that as I said before, they have to know the secret code to finding materials in the library. This should alleviate that frustration and get books into more hands which is the ultimate library goal! Get more people READING! No better way than to speak the language our patrons speak!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment