Thursday, March 10, 2011

Module 12

The Final. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,.......12 Step!

All I can say is WOWEEE! This was incredibly awesome! I loved this so very very much! I would definately do a program like this again and again!

Module 1 & 2...I was scared to death! Creatin a blog when I had never ever done that before! The steps were easy to follow and wala! I did it! Absolutely awesome! I like blogs. They are so good for the spirit! It's like journaling and that is a form of reflection and reflections is a form of learning! Blogs are great for librarians to promote reading and all that it entails from teaching to promoting great reads and ideas!

I enjoyed learning about RSS feeds as well. I had no idea this technology was out there. Not a clue in the world! I signed up for several and have been using it every since and have learned a few things about gardening that have helped my spring garden! Can you imagine using an RSS feed in the library to promote the upcoming events in the library! Newsletters could be distributed this way. Saves paper! Yea!

Module 8 Social networking...I am a recent FACEBOOK signer upper and have enjoyed using it to keep up with friends and family in my personal life! I think this is a perfect way to help promote and communicate the library to patrons. Imagine sending out invitations to a Book Pajama Party to read and talk about the latest Newbery Winner! Or how about informing patrons about the new library podcasts from the author of the Diary of a Wimpy Kids series.

Wiki's were another thing I had no idea just exactly what they were. Again, I thought ya needed to be some great big technological goorue to be able to understand a wiki. Boy was I wrong. I like "wiking." I absolutely loved the Best Practices wiki! What a way for library's to collaborate and share ideas. Something we all can benefit from....sharing new and exciting and DIFFERENT ideas from around the whole world!!!!

How did this program affect my lifelong learning goals???It has opened my eyes up to a new way of thinking! I've always kinda fought the advancement of technology! I am an old fashioned Texas Gal and I like being that way. Sometimes the old ways are the best but in this case...nope. These new technologies are a way to get libraries out there. Each one of these modules showed me that it's all about communication. Really, that seems to be what this time in our history of life is all about. Communicating and informing each other. Sharing information. It's no longer a world that belongs just to the so called experts. Normal people can be experts to. Much of our information is user created and that is not a bad thing at all.

Libraries are no longer just quiet rooms where an old lady sits behind a desk, shushing everyone and checking out books. Libraries are hip! They are exciting and fun! They provide people a hub in which to come and learn great new ideas and information! These new technologies aide in that aspect of thinking. I am a librarian in the new library of today and tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment